Sunday, March 7, 2010

Broke? Download.

Yes, I have downloaded music illegally. Honestly, how many teens haven't downloaded music illegally? A survey even stated that more than half of college students download music or movies off the web. What does the world expect from poor kids? A CD at the store may be fifteen bucks, but that could be used for gas, food, or paying a bill.

One reason why I have downloaded music illegally is because I will only like one song from a CD. I don't want to waste my money on a CD for just that one song when I could get it for free. Another reason why I have downloaded music illegally is because I have no money to buy a CD or use iTunes. I have no job, and my mother isn't the type to just randomly give me money for music.

I knew it was illegal to download music, but I never knew how serious the consequences are. Jammie Thomas was ordered to pay about $9,250.00 for each 24 songs she had downloaded. That is absolutely ridiculous. I'm not saying it's ridiculous that she had to pay that amount, but that each song she had to pay that much. After reading that I probably will never download illegally in fear of getting caught.

Artists, music producers, and the record labels need to make money. They aren't making money if we are all just sitting here on LimeWire downloading songs illegally. We are lowering the chances of new talent being recognized! The music industry could get fed up with it and stop giving us music to listen to! And, maybe that's what they should do. Teach these kids a lesson.

I know, I'm contradicting myself a lot. I just don't know where I really stand in this topic. I think it is wrong that we are basically stealing from the music industry. However, I understand why some teens, like myself, illegally download music.

No comments:

Post a Comment